Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Open Source Arch-Type 3: Modern Sorceror

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
argosail

PostSubject: Re: Open Source Arch-Type 3: Modern Sorceror   Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Alright, so here is some concept art for Dr. Acacia, The Mystriarch. Let me know what you think. This image is public domain, but I don't mind being credited.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Transmooky

PostSubject: Re: Open Source Arch-Type 3: Modern Sorceror   Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Fantastic ideas Knight, I also like the idea of the tree moving. That background also gives me an idea that I can use in my story.

I had already created a character called Seed, which would fit in very nicely with the eating the seed to gain powers etc, he is the next step in superhero evolution - if I can ever work out what the next step is!!

Personally I would refrain from using Jenny Elsewhere, seems to get in to too many stories just because she was the first modern Open Source character etc. but that's your call. I would maybe go from a different angle and use Jenny Nowhere, just to be different.

Duke of Darkness is a good character to use and has a nice catalogue of enemies that could be used, I'm thinking of using Mr Slumber.

and Argo - nice work - liking the visuals but one thing I would say is that there really isn't much difference between the two, his hero persona needs to be a little more colorful?? not a criticism just a thought
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://scottclaringbold.com
KnightRandom

PostSubject: Re: Open Source Arch-Type 3: Modern Sorceror   Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:26 am

Argosail, I really like that design. Good work. As to the Fountain, I've never seen that. The origin I wrote up was heavily influenced by Biblical imagery and I was probably subconsicously influenced by The Wizard of Earthsea as well.

The connections I suggested to the larger universe of the Peacemakers and such were meant to be optional. Any superhero in a wider superhero universe has core elements that make them up and connections to the wider universe. So you can have movies with Superman and Batman on their own, which don't acknowledge any wider universe, but also the Justice League movie. Sometimes these connections help give them more depth, as I think has been the case for the Outworlder; sometimes they are detrimental, as has too often been the case for Doctor Strange. (Of course, there are also some characters who only exist as parts of some larger context even when they can also work in stories on their own, such as Starfall--she grew out of the Peacemaker mythos I came up with earlier.)

Jenny Everywhere is an useful character because she can connect the sci-fi parts of this universe with the mystical parts. As for Jenny Nowhere, I tend to picture her as an eldritch abomination of sorts, not unlike the Slender Man. She is something that shouldn't exist; her very presence is disruptive to reality. She appears as a tall blonde woman in a black suit wearing a gas mask. (You don't ever want to see what's under the mask.) Her origin is... well, I'll have to wait until I get around to writing the story I had in mind for her. But of course the whole point of the character is that everyone's version of her is different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Open Source Arch-Type 3: Modern Sorceror   Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:57 am

Great work on the design, Argosail. I think I was going in a slightly different direction in my head, but I like what you've done a lot more than what I was coming up with.

I have some thoughts on the origin suggestions, but I need to kick them around a bit. Overall, I do think we're on the right track, though... Dr. Acacia is starting to feel like a real character!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Open Source Arch-Type 3: Modern Sorceror   

Back to top Go down

Open Source Arch-Type 3: Modern Sorceror
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2