The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes

Go down 
+4
bchat
argosail
Transmooky
GoldenBard
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes Empty
PostSubject: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 pm

So, what to Public Domain superheroes drink? Kooba Cola, of course!

While reading some issues of Fox Comics from DCM, I noticed that like every issue had ads for Kooba Cola. I'd never heard of it, and started to wonder. Did it go out of business? Was it a regional soda unheard of on the East Coast? I decided to Google it to find out.

Turns out that marketing genius Victor Fox, wanting to branch out his business, came up with a great idea: Invent a soda brand, advertise it in his comics, create a demand for something that doesn't exist, and then sell the name to soda company for a boatload of cash! Sadly (for him), it never happened, so Kooba Cola only existed in the pages of Fox Comics.

But, in my fictional universe, Kooba Cola is actually the best selling soft drink there is! In fact, it's success has launched a whole line of sodas that it's competitors have tried to copy: Kooba Ale, Koob-Up, Dr. Kooba, and even the Kooba Fruit line of fruit-flavored sodas!

So, I'm just throwing this idea out there, and making my additions to the line public domain/open source for anyone who wants to use them. After all, saving the world is thirsty work for those heroes! And my soda creations apparently have as much validity as Mr. Fox's original...
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 5:01 pm

This is similar to some of my stories. There is a band featured in several of my short stories called SON!C THRUST. They appear in similar fashion, a cd cover here, a tour poster there and in one story the main charcaters are at one of their gigs.

It would be cool to see them pop in other stories if anyone wants to use them. Heck, they could even be sponsered by Kooba Cola!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://scottclaringbold.com
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:50 am

Haha...that is aweome! I will definitely be adding Kooba in my stories, when i need a product ad in the background or a corporation name. The history is pretty hilarious.

For a while, I was trying to keep track of all the fictional business names that appear in PD comics, but there were a lot and many were just ridiculous. But the name Kooba is definitely distinct and catchy!
Back to top Go down
bchat

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 3:41 am

I can't remember where I saw it, but Kooba Cola has appeared in a regular comic book. Best I can recall is seeing it behind some character's head, as a promotional poster with white lettering on a red background.
Back to top Go down
CodeAndReload

CodeAndReload

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:15 am

argosail wrote:
For a while, I was trying to keep track of all the fictional business names that appear in PD comics

I know I'm late to the party, but did you know of any fictional PD businesses that produce or distribute candy? Did you find any in your research?
Back to top Go down
http://codeandreload.com
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 am

I thought it might be fun to keep this thread going with other "background elements" for The Free Universe, which will need things like restaurants, hotels, airlines, etc. So, if you have a name for something along those lines that you don't mind sharing for others to use, add it here!

I'm throwing out 2 restaurant chains. First is a fast-food joint. In honor of what this board is all about, I've decided to call it "Burger Domain." Burger Domain is nationwide (with a few international locations popping up). The company colors are black and silver, and their big, kitchen-sink like burger (like the Big Mac or Whopper) is called "The Dominator." They serve Kooba Cola, burgers, fries, and hot dogs. They also have a vegetarian burger, as well as salads, shakes, and various desserts.

For a more upscale dining experience (think TGI Fridays, Bennigans, Ruby Tuesday, etc.), you can go to Xanadu's. The food is an international fusion specializing in an American/Asian flair. They are best known for their ribs, although the menu is quite extensive (and changes slightly seasonally, so you can fine almost everything there at one point or another). Another famous trademark of Xanadu's is a potent alcoholic drink called the Kubla Khan.
Back to top Go down
MikeDiBaggio

MikeDiBaggio

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 6:49 am

I love this kind of stuff. Little details like this really make a setting come alive. Here are some restaurants, night clubs, and hopper/car companies that I've used in Ascension Epoch, particularly in the East End Irregulars series. Some of them are inspired by old PD adventure characters. Feel free to use them:

Restaurants and Nightclubs
Country Kitschen: An old-timey 'home cookin' franchise restaurant with “14 flavors of homemade pancakes amid walls covered with nostalgic advertisements and shelves of tasteless, retro knick-knacks.” Has six Pittsburgh area locations.
Ali Kebob: Casual-dining with several area locations, specializing in Arab and western Mediterranean cuisine. Kebobs, Gyros, Falafels, etc...
Azim's: A higher end Arab restaurant with private banquet rooms, hookah bar, and belly dancers. Increasingly popular among trend setters and increasingly catering to them, but a long time establishment in the Shadyside neighborhood, as Pittsburgh has one of the area's largest Middle Eastern populations.
Close Encounters: A retro-futuristic themed nightclub in Shadyside, extremely popular with attractive twenty-something college students, and also occasionally having alcohol-free “under 18” nights for the younger crowd. Part of the dance floor is actually made of practically inert Martian cavorite that allows dancers to moonwalk – literally. [Note: A chapter in "After Dark" is set here]
Allegheny Grill: Restaurant in Squirrel Hill specializing in family dining and catered events. Home of the famous Turkey Westminster (roast turkey wrapped in cheese and melted bacon on a waffle covered with maple syrup). Eva waitresses here. [Note: A chapter in "After Dark" is set here, too]
Pittsburgh Brewhaus: Two locations, the original location opened on the site of the defunct (and legendary) Holtzrichter Brewery in the Polish Hill neighborhood, a new, purpose-built location was opened in Oakland a few years ago. Serves food and a large assortment of micro-brewed and specialty beers. Also a large live music venue, including, yes, polka evenings once a month.

Large Vehicle Manufacturers
RWA: Readeworks Automotive is the last survivor of the industrial empire started by 19th century (public domain) adventurer, inventor, and and Martian War hero Frank Reade, Jr. It operates a largely automated parts and assembly plant near Homestead, just outside of Pittsburgh.

Swift Motors: The company founded by the famous inventor (and public domain hero) Tom Swift operates a factory in the North Side.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ascensionepoch.com
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 7:57 pm

I love these ideas, I think they really help to tie different stories together as being in the same universe.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 9:10 am

One of the Samson stories featured "Columbia Airlines," which seemed like a great name if I need an airline in a story.

And I have another restaurant. Or, to be more accurate, a "breastaurant:" One of those places like Hooters, a sports bar where the waitresses wear skimpy uniforms.

I give you "Hotties." Hotties is known for a line of spicy foods (jalapeno burger, buffalo wings, etc.) in addition to the normal fare, and for the skimpy attire of it's waitresses. The tops are red tank tops with the logo on the chest, red crop-top vests, or red bikini tops worn with black miniskirts or hot pants, red sneakers, and hair bands with red devil horns. They use pens shaped like pitchforks to take orders. The company mascot is a sexy devil girl, and Hotties sells its hot sauce at the restaurant, online, and at certain specialty shops. They also offer an annual calendar of Hotties girls.
Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 6:34 am

Is Hotties your own invention? I like it.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 pm

captainwhizz wrote:
Is Hotties your own invention? I like it.

Thanks, Whizz. Yep, totally my creation. Honestly, I'm not sure why I felt the need to create a breastaurant even how (or if) I'll ever use it into a story, but the notion grabbed me and just wouldn't let go until I came up with something. Glad you like it!
Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 4:08 am

Well, with your blessing, I'm going to keep it in mind to throw into a story.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptySun Nov 30, 2014 8:44 am

So, here are some more additions; one from the PD and the rest based on stories from the PD...

First is a department store from the PD "Lost World" post-apocalypse adventures of Hunt Bowman. He and his girl had to hide from the evil Volta men in Camy's Department store. Obviously, it's just "Macy's" with the letters rearranged, but I thought the name sounded pretty good. If you want to change it up, you could always use "Cammy's" or "Cammie's" instead.

Also, I've been listening to L. Frank Baum's "Aunt Jane's Nieces" stories, and some of the ideas/characters inspired me with new organizations: Merrick International (based on the Merrick Metal Works); the charitable Merrick-Doyle Foundation; the Forbes Museum of Art; and the De Graf Institute of Music.
Back to top Go down
Jay042

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 2:53 am

I used the Kooba name for a brand of fruit pie snacks in my comic. I used them in some fake promos parodying those late 70's early 80's  Hostess comic ads in Marvel and DC books.

Fair Warning: These are definitely not safe for work.
http://kaza-and-gwenna.thecomicseries.com/comics/54/
(also features a guest appearance by Fox Features villain Taho the Black Fury)

My second one was even goofier, featuring the villain Brick-Bat
http://kaza-and-gwenna.thecomicseries.com/comics/109/

I did a blind art exchange between a bunch of the artists that use the same comic host. And this was what I got.
http://kaza-and-gwenna.thecomicseries.com/comics/129/
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks for sharing, Jay; these were a riot! Over the years I've seen many spoofs of those old ads, and God knows they deserved it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes   Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes Empty

Back to top Go down

Goofy Addition to Public Domain Universes
Page 1 of 1