The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Reverse-Hulk

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Transmooky

Transmooky

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm looking to create a character that is the opposite way to what everyone would expect.

He/she would be a creature/alien/demon who when under severe pressure becomes human.
I'm wondering how they would cope with suddenly losing their strength, powers when fighting evil.

Would anyone like to pitch in any ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://scottclaringbold.com
argosail

argosail

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Well, this sounds like a prime opportunity for satire. The creature is strong as long as it maintains it's serenity, but becomes just another sad little mortal when its angry and stressed out. Of course, for people to identify with the character, it needs to be human most of the time...maybe make her a real stressed out corporate pit-bull who gets furious about all the injustice around her, but she discovers when she meditates and calms herself, she gains superhuman strength, invulnerability and a sort of cosmic awareness. That is pretty anti-hulk....
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 pm

I was thinking that perhaps the creature should be the calm force and the human is perhaps strong/violent - a crazed killer with a lust for blood?

Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 am

But wouldn't that essentially be the same as the hulk? Except the calm version isn't tecnically a human? Like a carebear that turns into a human version of the hulk?
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 am

For me, Transmooky, part of the problem is that I don't quite "get" the character. When you say "a reverse-Hulk" just as a concept, it sounds kind of neat and interesting, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this concept could fit into a story. As a result, it's hard for me to make any comment on how it might work...

Maybe if you gave me an idea of how you planned to use the character...?
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Well the idea sounded better in my head but having seen it written down maybe it doesn't have any legs.

In the way that Banner fears the Hulk coming out in him I wanted a large demon who looks fierce and is powerful but under stress he becomes something he fears - a human - only the human side is more violent and dark than the demon.

That was the basic idea but like I say maybe it 's a no go.

Thanks for your comments guys, appreciate them.
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

I think it's just a matter of how you choose to view the character...it's all a matter of what perspective you are coming from....is it normally a creature or is it normally human? I don't think it would make sense for the creature to be a demon, because how could a human be so evil that a demon doesn't want to unleash it? That sounds like a terribly unlikable character. But if you tone down the evil/bloodthirsty angle, you get something like I described...a big, powerful, enlightened creature that turns into a much less enlightened human. But I think this could be a great concept...because the human WANTS to become the creature and has to find enough serenity to do it, while the world is going to hell in a handbasket...the creature is challenged to maintain its sense of serenity in the middle of combat...I see a lot of story potential with that....
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Not sure how to proceed with it now, maybe I'll put it in limbo and come back to it when I've thought about it a bit more

scratch
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 10:02 pm

argosail wrote:
How could a human be so evil that a demon doesn't want to unleash it?
Maybe he’s Dick Cheney…?

argosail wrote:
If you tone down the evil/bloodthirsty angle, you get something like I described...a big, powerful, enlightened creature that turns into a much less enlightened human.
Transmooky wrote:
I wanted a large demon who looks fierce and is powerful but under stress he becomes something he fears - a human - only the human side is more violent and dark than the demon.
I think I got hung up on the “Reverse Hulk” angle, and was thinking more scientific/alien/mutation, but the talk of the creature as a demon gave me an idea that might work.

Suppose the human is a member of like a Satanic cult. He was the central part of a ritual that would bind him to a demon so that the cult could use the demon’s power for world domination (or whatever). Unfortunately, they conjured up a demon who, after centuries of tormenting souls, wants nothing more to do with being evil. Now bonded to a human (and therefore having access to a conscience…even one that didn’t get used much)¸ this feeling increases. So, using his demonic strength, he escapes. However, he later learns that in times of stress he loses control and the human half comes out. Moreover, the cult could use dark magics to bind him more, so that his desires would be meaningless, and he’d have to help them in their quest for power. So, he’s on the run from the cult, using his power to try to help people who are terrified by his appearance (in an attempt to make up for some of the evil he’s done), and terrified that if he turns into the cultist for too long, the human will contact his confederates and destroy the demon’s new-found free will.
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 am

Hmmm...the whole demon angle makes me think this is just a slight deviation from Etrigan/Jason Blood, only with their personalities being switched....
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 3:13 am

argosail wrote:
Hmmm...the whole demon angle makes me think this is just a slight deviation from Etrigan/Jason Blood, only with their personalities being switched....

Yeah, that crossed my mind, too. But when you're dealing with this kind of thing (two characters in one body), it's hard NOT to be reminiscent of something. The original idea for the Hulk was pretty much just a kicked-up grey monster version of Jekyll & Hyde. This was just the first idea that came to me.

And, of course, if Transmooky's going to shelve the idea for now, it's kind of a moot point anyway!
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Argo, yeah I think that's the trouble with it, it's just another character switched around whichever way you look at it.

Bard, nice ideas. Maybe I will resurrect it later. That's the beauty of these boards, someone willing to give their opinion can make an idea sink or swim.
Back to top Go down
Jay042

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:48 am

Actually, Peter David used that idea during his famous run on the Incredible Hulk. When "Professor" Hulk (the big smart version with Banner's personality in control) flew into a rage he turned back into Banner. He didn't find this out till the middle of a battle with a major enemy.
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks jay, I can definitely knock this one on the head then

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reverse-Hulk Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reverse-Hulk   Reverse-Hulk Empty

Back to top Go down

Reverse-Hulk
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Free Universe :: Welcome to the Public Domain! :: New Open Source Characters-
Jump to: