The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Golden age superhero role-playing games

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
great dude

Golden age superhero role-playing games Empty
PostSubject: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 am

Are there any golden age superhero role-playing games in the works?
Sorry to ask.,please let me know.
Back to top Go down
SCasper

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 1:39 am

Hi all,

I see this topic comes up annually.

There are actually many RPGs out there now that you can use to emulate the Golden Age of comics, dating all the way back to the Golden Age Champions supplement from 1994. John Stater has already mentioned his Mystery Men! RPG in these forums. Another game that is slightly older, has more product support, and is even easier to learn if you are familiar with Dungeons & Dragons is the game Hideouts & Hoodlums. H&H strives to be the most accurate simulation of Golden Age comics out there and is always looking for new submissions to its quarterly zine, The Trophy Case.

Sincerely,
Scott Casper
Creator/Editor of Hideouts & Hoodlums
Publisher of Great Scott! Games
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 7:29 am

SCasper wrote:
Hi all,

I see this topic comes up annually.

There are actually many RPGs out there now that you can use to emulate the Golden Age of comics, dating all the way back to the Golden Age Champions supplement from 1994. John Stater has already mentioned his Mystery Men! RPG in these forums. Another game that is slightly older, has more product support, and is even easier to learn if you are familiar with Dungeons & Dragons is the game Hideouts & Hoodlums. H&H strives to be the most accurate simulation of Golden Age comics out there and is always looking for new submissions to its quarterly zine, The Trophy Case.

Sincerely,
Scott Casper
Which ones?,after all i have the golden age sourcebook for the mutants and masterminds second edition RPG!
By the way,thank you for the response.
Back to top Go down
SCasper

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:41 am

I seem to have been baited into stumping for the competition. Oh well...

The 1984 Marvel Super Heroes game had an excellent WWII-era Liberty Legion adventure in Dragon magazine #104.

Icons, the game from Stark City Games, has a series of short adventures called Golden Age Thrilling Action.

A company called Vigilance Press produces a series of WWII-based superhero adventures/supplements for Icons, BASH, and M&M.

There's Two-Fisted Tales and Dicey Tales for more pulp hero style adventures.

Godlike is for playing superheroes in WWII, but in a gritty, realistic way unlike how they actually were in comic books.

If I think of more, I'll post them too.

Sincerely,
Scott Casper

Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 am

SCasper wrote:
I seem to have been baited into stumping for the competition. Oh well...

The 1984 Marvel Super Heroes game had an excellent WWII-era Liberty Legion adventure in Dragon magazine #104.

Icons, the game from Stark City Games, has a series of short adventures called Golden Age Thrilling Action.

A company called Vigilance Press produces a series of WWII-based superhero adventures/supplements for Icons, BASH, and M&M.

There's Two-Fisted Tales and Dicey Tales for more pulp hero style adventures.

Godlike is for playing superheroes in WWII, but in a gritty, realistic way unlike how they actually were in comic books.

If I think of more, I'll post them too.

Sincerely,
Scott Casper

Here is another role-playing game:big bang comics.
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyFri May 24, 2013 7:00 am

Sorry to bother you,but can the marvel superheroes,GURPS Supers and DC Heroes 2nd edition role-playing games be used to simulate the golden age of comics?
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 3:42 am

Which other RPGS can be used to emulate the golden age of comics,besides the ones listed?
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 12:05 am

SCasper wrote:
Another game that is slightly older, has more product support, and is even easier to learn if you are familiar with Dungeons & Dragons is the game Hideouts & Hoodlums.  H&H strives to be the most accurate simulation of Golden Age comics out there and is always looking for new submissions to its quarterly zine, The Trophy Case.

So, my days of playing RPGs are pretty much behind me. I don't really have the time and don't know anyone in my area who'd be willing to play, anyway. But I do still look at them every so often (I've collected over a hundred free rpgs from the Web over the years). I recently stumbled across H&H and downloaded 5 or 6 issues of The Trophy Case. From what I can see, it really seems like an impressive little game. There is plenty of support material, including TTC, which is a nifty little 'zine, even for those who don't play the game. There are stories of PD characters, and a Captain Marvel pastiche (Major Magus) that is a real pleasure to read. From what I see of H&H, it's a relatively low investment, too. You can get the main rule set for 2 bucks. And as of right now, it looks like you can get EVERYTHING (full rules, optional rules, support materials, and adventures) for under 20! If I were of a mind to spend money on a game, I think H&H would be where I'd spend some of it! If you're looking for a PD/GA superhero game, I'd recommend checking it out.
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 am

GoldenBard wrote:
SCasper wrote:
Another game that is slightly older, has more product support, and is even easier to learn if you are familiar with Dungeons & Dragons is the game Hideouts & Hoodlums.  H&H strives to be the most accurate simulation of Golden Age comics out there and is always looking for new submissions to its quarterly zine, The Trophy Case.

So, my days of playing RPGs are pretty much behind me. I don't really have the time and don't know anyone in my area who'd be willing to play, anyway. But I do still look at them every so often (I've collected over a hundred free rpgs from the Web over the years). I recently stumbled across H&H and downloaded 5 or 6 issues of The Trophy Case. From what I can see, it really seems like an impressive little game. There is plenty of support material, including TTC, which is a nifty little 'zine, even for those who don't play the game. There are stories of PD characters, and a Captain Marvel pastiche (Major Magus) that is a real pleasure to read. From what I see of H&H, it's a relatively low investment, too. You can get the main rule set for 2 bucks. And as of right now, it looks like you can get EVERYTHING (full rules, optional rules, support materials, and adventures) for under 20! If I were of a mind to spend money on a game, I think H&H would be where I'd spend some of it! If you're looking for a PD/GA superhero game, I'd recommend checking it out.
Yeah,I Have seen it.it is totally awesome.,by the way,how can I create my own GA/PD superhero game?
Back to top Go down
SuperHeroFan

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 8:25 pm

GB,

I'm like you, ' my days of playing RPGs are pretty much behind me. I don't really have the time and don't know anyone in my area who'd be willing to play, anyway.' Besides, I lost 3/4 of my comic collection and all my accumulated merchandise, with my RPGs in a fire so I'm selective in what I try to purchase again just for myself. I Uncanny had X-Men 140 - to what was current back in the late 90's, whole runs of a bunch of mainstream stuff, even ROM and the Master of Kung-Fu runs.
(Thinking about the value of some of the stuff I had..sighh)

Have you seen the older TMNT, Robotech (Palladium Studios) if I remember correctly) or any FASA Star Trek rpgs in your browsing among rpg sites? I can't seem to find any site with the full game and any sourcebooks, it's either one or the other.
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Like I Said,I Would like to know how I can create my own PD/GA superhero Role-playing game.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 12:19 am

SuperHeroFan wrote:
Have you seen the older TMNT, Robotech (Palladium Studios) if I remember correctly) or any FASA Star Trek rpgs in your browsing among rpg sites? I can't seem to find any site with the full game and any sourcebooks, it's either one or the other.
Not that I can recall, SHF, but I'll keep my eyes open and if I spot them I'll let you know...

great dude wrote:
Like I Said,I Would like to know how I can create my own PD/GA superhero Role-playing game.
Why, great dude? Like I said, you can get a basic game for free in Mystery Men, and all the bells and whistles you could possibly want for under 20 buck in H&H. Game design is far from easy, so why would you want to put that much effort into it when you can easily (and cheaply) get a good game ready to go?

If you're bound and determined to do it yourself, the hard part is always the "engine," the system of rolls that you need to resolve issues. So I'd say take a game you like and just use that engine (both Mystery Men & H&H are based on Swords & Wizardry, which is based on D&D), or use one of the generic open-source engines (like FUDGE, D6, or JAGS) and just develop the setting, powers you'd need, etc.

On a related note, I've noticed that you ask a lot "How can I make...?" If you're asking someone to explain the basic creative process to you, I seriously doubt that anyone here can do that. There are many psychologists and sociologists who have spent decades studying what creativity is, and they don't have any definitive answers. Some people need quiet to create something; some need chaos. Some need to sit and think and meditate; others can only create while they're jogging or walking the dog or taking a shower. You just need to find what works for you and use it. But nobody can really tell someone else how to be creative; it's too personal.

Last edited by GoldenBard on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptySun Aug 10, 2014 7:57 am

GoldenBard wrote:
SuperHeroFan wrote:
Not that I can recall, SHF, but I'll keep my eyes open and if I spot them I'll let you know...

great dude wrote:
Why, great dude? Like I said, you can get a basic game for free in Mystery Men, and all the bells and whistles you could possibly want for under 20 buck in H&H. Game design is far from easy, so why would you want to put that much effort into it when you can easily (and cheaply) get a good game ready to go?

If you're bound and determined to do it yourself, the hard part is always the "engine," the system of rolls that you need to resolve issues. So I'd say take a game you like and just use that engine (both Mystery Men & H&H are based on Swords & Wizardry, which is based on D&D), or use one of the generic open-source engines (like FUDGE, D6, or JAGS) and just develop the setting, powers you'd need, etc.

On a related note, I've noticed that you ask a lot "How can I make...?" If you're asking someone to explain the basic creative process to you, I seriously doubt that anyone here can do that. There is a many psychologists and sociologists who have spent decades studying what creativity is, and they don't have any definitive answers. Some people need quiet to create something; some need chaos. Some need to sit and think and meditate; others can only create while they're jogging or walking the dog or taking a shower. You just need to find what works for you and use it. But nobody can really tell someone else how to be creative; it's too personal.
sounds great,how else can I do that?
Back to top Go down
SuperHeroFan

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks GB, I appreciate it.

GreatD,

"sounds great,how else can I do that?"

I think GB explains it quite well.

Myself, I keep a notebook with snips of dialogue that 'sounds right' for characters I'm trying to work on, or if something on tv/movie/books sparks an idea, write it down and use it as a jumping off-point to help you with your work. If for ex. Batman comics/toons/movies/tv end with a loose plot thread, then treat it as a 'choose your adventure' sort of thing and write your own endings/beginnings, etc.

I happened to notice a puddle with an oily surface, and wrote a very short story about a character fighting in an alley and stomping through a puddle trying to catch the bad guy. They end up fighting and the bad guy lands on the ground, and notices the 'rainbow' that shines on it, the feel of the liquid on his face, etc.

I'm not sure if I expressed myself well or not!
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 5:20 am

SuperHeroFan wrote:
Thanks GB, I appreciate it.

GreatD,

"sounds great,how else can I do that?"

I think GB explains it quite well.

Myself, I keep a notebook with snips of dialogue that 'sounds right' for characters I'm trying to work on, or if something on tv/movie/books sparks an idea, write it down and use it as a jumping off-point to help you with your work. If for ex. Batman comics/toons/movies/tv end with a loose plot thread, then treat it as a 'choose your adventure' sort of thing and write your own endings/beginnings, etc.

I happened to notice a puddle with an oily surface, and wrote a very short story about a character fighting in an alley and stomping through a puddle trying to catch the bad guy. They end up fighting and the bad guy lands on the ground, and notices the 'rainbow' that shines on it, the feel of the liquid on his face, etc.

I'm not sure if I expressed myself well or not!
Wow,that is so cool!,However,i would like instructions on how to create my own GA/PD Superhero role-playing game!
Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 pm

I Would like to know how I can create my own golden age superhero role-playing game and limit it to my own personal use!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golden age superhero role-playing games   Golden age superhero role-playing games Empty

Back to top Go down

Golden age superhero role-playing games
Page 1 of 1