The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Using PD characters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SuperHeroFan

Using PD characters  Empty
PostSubject: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyWed Dec 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi all,

I was going to use a PD character in the story (still notes and research) but another co. is now using it in a series, but the question I have is:

I've read different places that I could use a PD char even if he/she/it is used by another company as long as I use the PD origin and such BEFORE the new co. write stories w/them. If the 'new' character is essentially the same as the original PD version, I'm out of luck, correct?

Or can I just use bits of the origin, powers, etc. and just change the name?

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Liberator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberator_%28Nedor_Comics%29

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Nelson_Drew_%28Earth-ABC%29
Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyThu Dec 04, 2014 3:17 am

If a company uses a PD character, they can only claim to own bits that they add to the character, not the original bits. So if a company makes Sherlock Holmes an alien, then you can use the original version, but you might well be in trouble if you used their alien idea.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 2:50 am

Exactly. Once a character is in the PD, it's okay for anyone to use him or her. BBC and CBS both have (very different) modern versions of Sherlock Holmes on TV. And this time of year, everyone and their brother uses Santa Claus for everything from commercials to major motion pictures. That doesn't pull these characters out of public domain.
Back to top Go down
SuperHeroFan

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyFri Dec 05, 2014 4:39 am

Thanks to the both of you! Now I have to completely rethink another part of the story, as another part I just read was used in a comic last month. <pounding my head against the desk.
Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 10:11 pm

What's the piece that's causing you a problem? Maybe there's a way around it?
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 9:24 am

Yeah, give us some details, SHF. Maybe there's an easy work around. Or maybe it's a nonissue. Like, I've seen several modern movies that update Santa Claus to use a "rocket sleigh." If it's a minor thing that just makes sense for the character that you came up with independently, you might be okay.
Back to top Go down
SuperHeroFan

PostSubject: HELP?!   Using PD characters  EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 12:25 am

GB and Capt.,

Thanks for asking. It was the fact that I read that the new title Superior Iron Man has a new type of armor called -

Endo-sym Armor. It's a new Extremis-type (3.0) which is a liquid metal armor that hardens on connection. Rather than relying on a technological element for the initial bonding process, it also contains some symbiotic genetic material.
(The armor retrieval is now psionic again.) There is a stealth graphene coating that covers his face because he uses a face mask on his helmet a lot less now.)

The Stark in the book is pre-Iron Man Tony without the shrapnel in the heart, a real jerk.

Anyway, I did a little research on the same sort of liquid metal and read a lot of US/UK links on future soldier armor, and other futuristic items. And I had thought about having a peaceful symbiote bonding with the team leader and off-shooting to the others to provide enhanced abilities and strengthening the armor even more.

Just one link of many - http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/04/05/forget-kevlar-liquid-body-armor-hardens-on-impact/

I don't know what else to do. Oh, yeah..Stark has taken the Extremis 3.0 and put it in a phone app. He charges .99c for it the 1st 24hrs, then $100 dollars a day afterward. What a guy.

I'm blocked.

Let me ask, are there any characters that have vehicles w/AI in them? Being original is HARD lol.
Back to top Go down
SuperHeroFan

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Anyone? I know it's the holidays...It's dark in here, I hear footsteps...is that a....?!

J/K Anyone here?
Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 3:06 am

Which PD character are you using?

If you're worried about just using some form of intelligent (or semi-intelligent) metal that can change between fluid and hard just because there's something similar in Iron Man, then don't. Besides, if something exists in the real world, or is close to existing, then it's fair game.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 10:39 am

What Whizz said. If the technology exists, then you can use it. Do you know how many times over the past decade or so I've read about characters who got powers or abilities via nanotechnology? Heck, 90% of the heroes in the pulps used .45 automatics, cars, and autogyros. It would be different if Marvel invented the liquid armor, but it's out there; they just used it. So can you.

The one caveat is that if your character used the liquid armor to battle evil with repulsor rays (basically becoming an Iron Man clone), you might be in trouble. But it doesn't sound like that's the case, so go for it.
Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 8:22 pm

If you want a good example of how much you can get away with, check out Squadron Sinister/ Squadron Supreme, or these pages:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CaptainErsatz/ComicBooks

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlternateCompanyEquivalent
Back to top Go down
SuperHeroFan

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 11:53 am

Captain,

I was planning on using Liberator in some way, and the armor was going to be defensive for the most part, no real offensive weapons like repulsors. Just basically using it as a secondary armor.

I did check out the two articles you linked, but tvtropes sucks someone in and then, it's four hours later! lol

Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 10:14 am

SuperHeroFan wrote:
I was planning on using Liberator in some way, and the armor was going to be defensive for the most part, no real offensive weapons like repulsors. Just basically using it as a secondary armor.

If that's the case, I don't see a problem. Otherwise, anybody who wore armor made of regular metal would have been a copy of Tony Stark's original armor! Just use it and don't worry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using PD characters    Using PD characters  Empty

Back to top Go down

Using PD characters
Page 1 of 1