Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 The Oz Universe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 16
Join date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: The Oz Universe   Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:18 am

This would be a great place to discuss MGM's version of the Wizard of Oz, as well as the play "Wicked."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://universe.1free.ws
captainwhizz

avatar

Posts : 168
Join date : 2014-10-05
Age : 36
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:30 am

Does anyone here use Oz in their works? I don't think it would fit in my universe, but there are so many tv shows etc that have an Oz episode. The Supernatural one was pretty cool.

I liked aspects of Tin Man, too.

Also, keep those slippers silver or get sued!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Florian R. Guillon

avatar

Posts : 46
Join date : 2011-12-11
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:08 pm

I've been thinking of writing a version of Oz situated in western Europe, got many ideas but didn't start writing yet. It would have involved a mix of actual events and folklore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://arcadiagraphicstudio.blogspot.fr
captainwhizz

avatar

Posts : 168
Join date : 2014-10-05
Age : 36
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:48 am

If it's going to be in Europe, you could throw in some connection between the Emerald City and Absinthe? Depending on what you intended the story to be like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldenBard

avatar

Posts : 368
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:38 am

I mentioned on another thread the Ascention Epoch universe (http://www.ascensionepoch.com/) where not only do they use Oz, but Princess Ozma actually spent some time in the outside world as a superheroine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heckfire



Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:04 pm

I once played around with an idea I called "The Neverwatch," sort of a "Charlie's Angels" meets "Lost Girls" thing (although I swear it was pure coincidence that my leads were the same characters as Alan Moore's comic) with Dorothy embracing her witch powers and providing magical firepower, Wendy Darling as the badass combat expert, and Alice as...well, I never did figure out what Alice could do, other than giving a decidedly skewed perspective that surprisingly came in handy when dealing with creatures of the imagination run amok. The three were in charge of maintaining the tenuous peace between the Lands of Fiction, investigating crimes committed by the characters of literature, and...and, yeah, I scrapped it because it was totally turning into a "Fables" rip-off. I still keep them in the toybox, though, in case of possible future use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heckfire.deviantart.com
Florian R. Guillon

avatar

Posts : 46
Join date : 2011-12-11
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:34 pm

captainwhizz wrote:
If it's going to be in Europe, you could throw in some connection between the Emerald City and Absinthe? Depending on what you intended the story to be like.

Actually, I've never thought about such as a connection. My story wasn't really developed after the starting point, which was Dorothy's vanishing from the real world during the 1999 winter storms and the search in the countryside. Rural France with its myths and destruction by the storms was more predominant than the world of Oz, actually. But I intend to rewrite the story and really balance these two aspects, so wait and see. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://arcadiagraphicstudio.blogspot.fr
GoldenBard

avatar

Posts : 368
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:15 pm

Heckfire wrote:
I once played around with an idea I called "The Neverwatch," sort of a "Charlie's Angels" meets "Lost Girls" thing ...The three were in charge of maintaining the tenuous peace between the Lands of Fiction ...

Reminds me of something I thought of, Heckfire, but I didn't go into the whole "Lands of Fiction" idea...

Basically, I was playing with the idea of a small, "family-feel" kind of group like the Fantastic Four, and I realized the the main 4 from the Wizard of Oz could easily set the template for such a group. I was thinking of a girl who could speak to animals and maybe had minor mystic/psychic abilities (and, of course, traveled with a dog as a partner/familiar), an armored cyborg/Robotman kind of character (w/a battle axe), a leonine animal man, and a 4th partner. I had some trouble w/the Scarecrow, but I was leaning toward the smartest guy of the 4 having the ability to absorb a great deal of damage and maybe have minor abilities to alter his shape (some inflating, stretching, flattening, but not to the level of Mr. Fantastic). I even toyed with the idea of them having a mentor character who was a personality uploaded into a computer before death, and now communicates w/the team at their base as a hologram of a floating head. I actually considered using the codename "Wizard" for the mentor, but wasn't sure if that would be going a bit too far with the concept.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heckfire



Posts : 30
Join date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:33 pm

GoldenBard wrote:
Heckfire wrote:
I once played around with an idea I called "The Neverwatch," sort of a "Charlie's Angels" meets "Lost Girls" thing ...The three were in charge of maintaining the tenuous peace between the Lands of Fiction ...

Reminds me of something I thought of, Heckfire, but I didn't go into the whole "Lands of Fiction" idea...

Basically, I was playing with the idea of a small, "family-feel" kind of group like the Fantastic Four, and I realized the the main 4 from the Wizard of Oz could easily set the template for such a group. I was thinking of a girl who could speak to animals and maybe had minor mystic/psychic abilities (and, of course, traveled with a dog as a partner/familiar), an armored cyborg/Robotman kind of character (w/a battle axe), a leonine animal man, and a 4th partner. I had some trouble w/the Scarecrow, but I was leaning toward the smartest guy of the 4 having the ability to absorb a great deal of damage and maybe have minor abilities to alter his shape (some inflating, stretching, flattening, but not to the level of Mr. Fantastic). I even toyed with the idea of them having a mentor character who was a personality uploaded into a computer before death, and now communicates w/the team at their base as a hologram of a floating head. I actually considered using the codename "Wizard" for the mentor, but wasn't sure if that would be going a bit too far with the concept.
Y'know, I remember an old indy comic from the 90s that sorta falls somewhere in between both our ideas called "The OZ Squad." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_Squad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heckfire.deviantart.com
captainwhizz

avatar

Posts : 168
Join date : 2014-10-05
Age : 36
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:39 pm

I like the idea of a group of heroes inspired by the characters from WoZ, but not set in Oz, pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoldenBard

avatar

Posts : 368
Join date : 2010-09-27
Age : 52

PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:04 am

Now that you mentioned it, Heckfire, I vaguely remember seeing the Oz Squad at the time, but I never read it (in those days, I didn't read much of anything unless it was published by DC. Since the new 52, I don't read much that is published by DC. Go figure).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Oz Universe   

Back to top Go down
 
The Oz Universe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The DC Universe: a Rough Guide
» DC Universe Online
» Shared Universe Starts With 'Man Of Steel'?
» Wonders of the Universe
» Miss Universe

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Free Universe :: Fan Section :: Movies, Videos and Productions-
Jump to: