The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?

Go down 
+4
argosail
GoldenBard
KnightRandom
Yzz
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Yzz

Yzz

What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? Empty
PostSubject: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 1:44 am

Okay...So I noticed that so far there are a ton of OS Heroes, but what about OS villians?

What Villain Archetypes do you think are needed?
Back to top Go down
http://yzzverse.blogspot.com/
KnightRandom

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 2:30 am

Well, considering that we've been building a sorceror character, we could certainly use a Dimension Lord-type villain along the lines of Dormammu. (Nemesis the Anti-Sun, from the backstory of Astro-Man, would certainly work as an enemy of Acacia, but that would be more along the lines of Shuma-Gorath, a cosmic threat so terrible it should only rarely show up as a direct threat.)
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 am

Wow, interesting point, Yzz. I guess that people like to create heroes for public consumption because it allows us to showcase the best in us. But nobody really wants to admit that they have that dark side and give it form in a free-standing villain...

Still, I do like the idea. Here's a quick list of general archetypes off the top of my head:
Evil genius/mad scientist - Guy who is an expert in some form of science or sorcery and uses it for evil: Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom, Captain Nemo, Migelito Loveless, etc.
Slayer - A killing machine who exists only to kill others: Doomsday, Jason, Freddy Kruger, etc.
Monster - A villain who is somehow not quite human and operates outside normal human views of good and evil (although they seem evil to everyone around them): Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, etc.
Femme Fatale - Slinky, sexy villainess who has the hots for the hero, but won't let that stand in the way of her goals: Catwoman, Princess Aura, Maxima, etc.
Overlord - The superpower mystery criminal who is determined to have ultimate power over those around him, either by operating from the shadows or by ruling the world: Moriarty, Per Degaton, Hitler, etc.
Foreign Peril - Some villain from outside the dominant culture who comes in and plans to conquer: Fu Manchu, Ming the Merciliess, Darkseid, etc.
The Secret Society - Not a person, but a hidden group that operates from the shadows to further their ends: The Illuminati, The Cobra Cult, etc.

You might also want to check out this list:

http://www.tamicowden.com/villains.htm
Back to top Go down
Yzz

Yzz

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Okay, I've started on a Dormammu/Extradimensional Overlord (Har-Un Magathan, Lord of Five Angles) & a MODOK alternative
(OSCOM=Organic Super-Computer Optimized for Murder).

Also I'm thinking of doing a Doctor Doom-ish character.
Back to top Go down
Yzz

Yzz

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 pm

OSCOM Concept:What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? Ososcom

Har-Un Magathan Concept:What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? Osharunmagathan

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 pm

They both look good to me, Yzz! OSCOM is brutal and bestial looking, quite an interesting look for a character with a scientific basis. And Har-Un is fairly mystic looking. Have you considered giving him a cape or cloak? I think that might add to the mystic vibe.
Back to top Go down
Yzz

Yzz

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 1:44 am

Here's a revised concept for Har-Un:What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? Osharunmagathan

I might post write-ups tonight.
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 am

Well, we have been creating villains as foils to the heroes we've been creating. Astro Man villain Talib fits nicely in the evil genius archtype. I think the Kalthar villain (new name TBD) makes a pretty good stand in for Darkseid. And we have the Revenant and possibly "Major Arcana" as mystical villains, though they have yet to be fleshed out much. The Revenant seems to be something of a monster/slasher kind of beast. If Major Arcana was developed as a villain, I could see him being a Dr. Doom type...though "Major" seems like a low rank for a potential world conqueror. We need an Emperor type.

Har-Un looks fantastic. He definitely needs the cape to give him that "royal badness" aspect. I would make it drag along the floor, while making his body kinda tall and gaunt. Without the cape, he just looks like a thug with a steamy head. This look also helps to differentiate him from Dormanu, who has always been a little silly looking IMO.

OSCOM looks fantastic and I LOVE the name, but it might not be a bad idea to add some features that distinguish him a little more from MODOC. As it stands, he is distinct in his color patterns, but I think I would really play up the pirhanna-like aspects that his big mouth and teeth give him.

I agree that it would be a good idea to better develop a Dr. Doom type, as well as a Cat-Woman type.
Back to top Go down
Yzz

Yzz

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 5:45 am

Revised Har-Un with longer cape:What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? Osharunrevised

Quote :
As it stands, he is distinct in his color patterns, but I think I would really play up the pirhanna-like aspects that his big mouth and teeth give him.
I'm unsure how to do this with the image...

Here some Outlines for these two;
*OSCOM-Similar to MODOK, an unwilling (but criminally-involved) scientist is transformed against his will into something not quite Human. Unlike MODOK, the perps weren't trying to make a docile, living computer; They had plenty of those (OSCs/Organic Super-Computers) floating around. OSCOM is part of a new project to create Telekinetic/Psionic killing machines. He's slightly unstable, on the one hand he is furious that he was turned into a monstrosity against his will, but he also doesn't want to return to his normal self because he loves the power he possesses.
Quote :
"Better to rule as a monster than to serve as a man."

*Har-Un Magathon-Har-Un's origin is shrouded in mystery. He arrived from the mysterious Shadow Dimension eons ago and conquered the Nightmare Dimension. After bringing it under his heel, he conquered the Dream Dimension, the War Dimension, and the Dead Dimension, earning him the title of "Lord of The Five Angles".
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:58 pm

How about a JOKER type character called Twisted Smile?
Back to top Go down
http://scottclaringbold.com
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 am

"Twisted Smile" sounds interesting... I wouldn't mind trying to create a link to the "original" Joker, Victor Hugo's "Man Who Laughs:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Laughs
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 4:52 am

I'd go with Jack Gwynplaine as the real name of the character. But I think the name "Twisted Smile" is a little too long and sounds more like a description than a name. Maybe shorten it to something like, "Twist" or "Twisty" or "Smiles" or "Smiley" If you went with the last one, you could make his skin yellow, his head big and bald, and his passion in life to make everyone shut up and smile. Instead of laughing "HaHAhaHahAHa!" he would quietly say "LOL!LOL!LOL!" like a lunatic. Okay, maybe not that last thing....
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 5:32 am

argosail wrote:
Maybe shorten it to something like, "Twist" or "Twisty" or "Smiles" or "Smiley" If you went with the last one, you could make his skin yellow, his head big and bald, and his passion in life to make everyone shut up and smile. Instead of laughing "HaHAhaHahAHa!" he would quietly say "LOL!LOL!LOL!" like a lunatic.

Uh-oh... I think we broke argosail's brain....

Go lie down for a while, buddy. It'll be okay. Laughing
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 5:41 am

You only say that because you are an agent of Smiley....
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 3:27 pm

I think Smiler would be a good name - Twisty or Smiley makes him sound too goofy - my background was a tortured soul who only knew abuse and violence as a child. He never knew a Mother's love. Now as an adult he is in pursuit of true happiness but his moral standards are way off centre and he commits acts of violence thinking that it will give him something he has always wanted - laughter!

Maybe a bit too dark?

But if we lighten it I kind of like the idea about the Smiley face mask from Argosail.

BTW argosail are you feeling better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Oh yes, much better now....my ability to think clearly comes and goes like the tide, reality spinning about like a whirlwind of nightmares as i desperately grasp for something to hold onto and only find purchase on the whiskers of a tempremental cheshire...but thank u for asking....

I don't think ur origin is too dark....if it were me, i'd twist it up even more if u want him to have good reason to be a killer. My question though is...does he laugh or is he unable too? Because u mentioned that was his goal...to laugh...sounds like he is trying his darndest to find something that's funny....
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah, i was thinking because of his childhood, he is perhaps exposed to death on a daily basis, funeral parlour, slaughter house? Having never been able to remember laughing he murders people in a way that he hopes will make him laugh.

Perhaps he sets up elaborate murders, knock on effects that end up with people dying in ways that are horrific but at the same time - so bizarre, they are funny?
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 pm

I like it, Transmooky. I think with this kind of character, you have to be a little dark, so this is fine. But if he's looking for laughter, I'm wondering if, rather than being like the Joker, he's always frowning, like an anti-Joker (see them as a Comedy/Tragedy mask combo). I just have this creepy image of a warehouse full of victims smothered in cream pies, drowned in seltzer bottles, etc., and the villain walking out, a big frown on his face, saying, "Nope, not funny enough..."
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 am

Oh yeah, I like the anti-joker idea. Wants laughter, but brings tragedy everywhere he goes...which is darkly humorous. If his name has anything to do with smiling, it would be ironic.

The Golden Age "Funny Man" would be a good nemesis for him.
Back to top Go down
Yzz

Yzz

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 1:07 am

Quote :
New Orange Herald Special Report

Mobster Murdered by Mysterious Masked Assailant.

Today at 12:15 PM, EST, the notorious crime lord Jefferson Montieri was gunned down by a sniper as he walked up the steps of McKenson Courthouse to face Federal racketeering charges. The perpetrator fled, and when authorities got to the rofftop where the fatal bullet had been fired they only found mysterious messages painted on the floor with red paint. According to confidential sources those messages where "U MAD?" and "PROBLEM, FBI?". More details as they're released.

I have your Joker...

Nananana...

TROLLFACE!
What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? Trollfacei
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 3:46 am

I like him (and the clever intro...nice job moding the unique face), but could trollface be our anit-joker? Maybe turn that smile upside down?
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Yes I think he should wear the tragedy mask -perhaps the comedy/tragedy statue/image is moulded in to his background- I like the image above but I'm not so sure about Trollface name.

Maybe just go with Tragedy - or Mister Twist?

Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:02 am

Mr. Twist is actually the name of a pretty cool Golden Age PD character, who is very similar to Lex Luthor (he is an enemy of Atoman and will be appearing on the Free Universe site).

Tragedy is a very direct name, but I don't think it captures the character's interest in laughter and practical jokes.

There are a number of good name possibilities you could go with. Something like "Chuckles" or "Smiles" or "Laffy" or even "Lafhard" might be ironic.

I do like variations of "Twist" because it refers to the physical deformity of his face, the twisted nature of his logic and a "twist of fate" that has changed his life, and the lives of his victims. That is why I suggested "Twisty." It sounds like a clown name, only with a very sinister...twist.

Another name that I think would suit the character is, "The Joke." This would refer to the fact that he sees himself as a pathetic laughing stock, and that he wants to be in on the "joke" and laugh like those who see his face. Yet, he would be frustrated that life's sense of humor was so cruel, and therefore, he'd want to show people that he was much funnier than life itself. So everywhere he goes, he tries to find the laughs, but his life, and the fate of his victims always ends up being tragic, which only inspires him to try to be funnier! The name, "The Joke," literally implies a humorous nature but in it's ironic sense, implies something tragic. It would also imply a connection to The Joker, and could give you all kinds of possibilities for terrible puns on the cover of a comic..."Here comes one bad Joke!" "Hey Hero, can't take a Joke?" "Our Hero faces the worst Joke of all!" "The Joke goes Knock-Knock."
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: my name idea   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 4:16 am

argosail wrote:
Mr. Twist is actually the name of a pretty cool Golden Age PD character, who is very similar to Lex Luthor (he is an enemy of Atoman and will be appearing on the Free Universe site).

Tragedy is a very direct name, but I don't think it captures the character's interest in laughter and practical jokes.

There are a number of good name possibilities you could go with. Something like "Chuckles" or "Smiles" or "Laffy" or even "Lafhard" might be ironic.

I do like variations of "Twist" because it refers to the physical deformity of his face, the twisted nature of his logic and a "twist of fate" that has changed his life, and the lives of his victims. That is why I suggested "Twisty." It sounds like a clown name, only with a very sinister...twist.

Another name that I think would suit the character is, "The Joke." This would refer to the fact that he sees himself as a pathetic laughing stock, and that he wants to be in on the "joke" and laugh like those who see his face. Yet, he would be frustrated that life's sense of humor was so cruel, and therefore, he'd want to show people that he was much funnier than life itself. So everywhere he goes, he tries to find the laughs, but his life, and the fate of his victims always ends up being tragic, which only inspires him to try to be funnier! The name, "The Joke," literally implies a humorous nature but in it's ironic sense, implies something tragic. It would also imply a connection to The Joker, and could give you all kinds of possibilities for terrible puns on the cover of a comic..."Here comes one bad Joke!" "Hey Hero, can't take a Joke?" "Our Hero faces the worst Joke of all!" "The Joke goes Knock-Knock."
how about we call him"twist man"
Back to top Go down
Transmooky

Transmooky

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 4:38 pm

The Joke is perhaps too much like The Joker - but maybe something along those lines would be good - Punchline - or something similar?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?   What OS Villian Archetypes are needed? Empty

Back to top Go down

What OS Villian Archetypes are needed?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next