The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CDComics

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links Empty
PostSubject: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 am

I can post links now, so here's were you can see War Nurse and Spring Heeled Jack images for free and consider whether you want to buy the comics/grapic novels. I'm Craig Daley (CDComics), it's just me, a huge comic fan and writer/Illustrator trying to get my work out there, so please have a look and any feedback would be wlecome.

War Nurse www.amazon.co.uk/War-Nurse-Alone-Golden-ebook/dp/B006ZSQ7G2/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327541936&sr=1-6

Spring Heeled Hack at www.amazon.co.uk/Spring-Heeled-Graphic-Horror-ebook/dp/B00727E208/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327674973&sr=1-5

Free reader
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000423913

If you visit www.cdgraphicnovels,blogspot.com, you will find my other stuff, not Domain Free Characters

Meadowhell: The True Horror of Shopping
Football Crazy: The Road to Insanity
Manhattan 1930: The Man in the White Suit

and War Nurse #2 is out next month
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 pm

These could interesting, and I really want to encourage your efforts to sell comics based on PD characters. I am always excited about that. However, I think the best way to help you, might be to offer some constructive criticism about your marketing. First, the covers on display are pretty minimalist, which is a mistake when selling comic books. You need a really strong cover to entice people. If the art on the cover is boring, it suggests that the interior art is going to be boring. The art of War nurse looks good (she's very sexy), but it's not super exciting with her just standing there. I think SHJ would benefit if the character appeared on the cover, in some menacing pose, so we can get a little taste of how you designed him, even if it's shadowy. If you want to really nab some business, commission another artist who's even better than you. You've gotta make a strong first impression if you want people to invest. A good 1-2 page preview might also help.

Second, the only thing I know about what I'm going to see in the book, comes from a rather long description (which has some spelling and grammar issues) and it is way more than I want to read. It introduces me to who the characters are (as a fan, I already know), but it doesn't really tell me what is special about your story. You need to make me feel like I can not live without reading this comic. You have to convince me that it is going to blow my mind when I read it. One way to draw me in is to make it clear that this first issue of the comic is only the beginning of an epic new story arc for the character.

I know that's a tall order to fill, but I really want you guys to succeed, and if you market this right, you will see a dramatic improvement in sales. I hope you are successful in bringing both characters back for modern audiences.
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:11 am

Thanks, I'll take a look at the improvements you mentioned...

If I did decide to follow up with another domain free character, which one would you think would pull in the largest audience?

cheers
Craig
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 am

Just based on what I've seen circumstantially, the most popular and recgnizable characters, not used by DC (in order of popularity) are:

1. Black Terror
2. Daredevil
3. The Arrow
4. The Heap
5. Cat-Man
6. Miss Masque
7. Green Lama
8. Woman in Red
8. American Crusader
9. Captain Battle

Runner Ups: Black Cat, Skyman, Amazing Man, Fighting Yank, The Flame, Atoman, Lady Luck, Pyroman

I don't incude mainstream DC characters, because DC owns the trademark and it would be hard to do a book without DC getting on your case. That said, the top 10 public domain characters used by DC:

1. Captain Marvel (Shazam)
2. Plastic Man
3. Uncle Sam
4. Blue Beetle
5. The Shield
6. Phantom Lady
7. Quicksilver
8. Blackhawk
9. The Ray
10. Human Bomb

Runner Ups: Black Condor, Doll Man

I base this on how often I see the characters used, how much fan art I see, how frequently they're discussed, and these characters come up a lot....

I think the Black Bat's similarities to Batman would also make him marketable....
Back to top Go down
great dude

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 10:47 pm

argosail wrote:
Just based on what I've seen circumstantially, the most popular and recgnizable characters, not used by DC (in order of popularity) are:

1. Black Terror
2. Daredevil
3. The Arrow
4. The Heap
5. Cat-Man
6. Miss Masque
7. Green Lama
8. Woman in Red
8. American Crusader
9. Captain Battle

Runner Ups: Black Cat, Skyman, Amazing Man, Fighting Yank, The Flame, Atoman, Lady Luck, Pyroman

I don't incude mainstream DC characters, because DC owns the trademark and it would be hard to do a book without DC getting on your case. That said, the top 10 public domain characters used by DC:

1. Captain Marvel (Shazam)
2. Plastic Man
3. Uncle Sam
4. Blue Beetle
5. The Shield
6. Phantom Lady
7. Quicksilver
8. Blackhawk
9. The Ray
10. Human Bomb

Runner Ups: Black Condor, Doll Man

I base this on how often I see the characters used, how much fan art I see, how frequently they're discussed, and these characters come up a lot....

I think the Black Bat's similarities to Batman would also make him marketable....
Yeah,Tell Me About It.,Doll Man,Black Condor,Captain Marvel,Plastic Man,Uncle Sam,Blue Beetle,The Shield,Phantom Lady,Quicksilver,Blackhawk,The Ray,And The Human Bomb Would Have To Be Featured In Comic Books We Do,With Their Names In The Interiors,And Not On The Covers.,This Way Legal Problems With DC Comics Can Be Avoided.
You Make A Very Good Point.
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 3:19 am

At the moment it's not looking great, the Surreal Murder Mystery stories have reached triple figure sales, while War Nurse is moving much more slowly.
The plan was to run several more issues and slowly introduce the female characters for a masked verion of the Girl Comandoes. In the original War Nurse series a similar change took place, but the masks were dropped.
If sales improve I'll be looking at an international line up. (Black) Cat from the USA and Kitten (her female French ward), the original Octobriana from Rusia, Mei Ling from the original Girl Comoandoes (1940), still undecided about her codename? plus Tesla's Robota (she's inside the crate in issue one).

Thanks for the list... there are several characters that could make guest appearances, but obviously this depends on sales. At the moment I'm finishing a Nikola Tesla novel, that will be out on Kindle in April.
The second War Nurse comic is half finished, but so is The Butcher of Banner Cross and like I siad, the Surreal Murder Mysteries are selling much better. So at the moment, I'm thinking Tesla novel, followed by Butcher and War Nurse and her Girl Commandoes are slipping down my list.

cheers
Craig
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 3:26 am

Whoops, one of the original Girl Commandoes was Russian, Tanya (no surname0 and she will be the original Octobriana.

cheers again
Craig
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah, I think a book needs to start with a good story concept, not just a character. Using PD characters can help from a marketing angle, because they are recognizable and have a built in fan base. But if the story isn't interesting, it doesn't matter what characters you use. That's why I recommended spicing up your marketing materials. I would totally read your book if it was free, but I haven't been convinced yet I need to buy it. The surreal murder mystery book sound marketable, because just from that three word description, it sounds like these books are based on a really interesting story. But I can download War Nurse stories for free. I need to know what makes your stories better. Crossovers are one thing your story could do better. Romance and sophisticated intrigue are another. More threatening circumstances and perilous adventures are another. What if War Nurse were called in to find the cure of a zombie plague spread by Nazi agents and one of the Zombies was the Black Terror? Now, I would pay to read that! We gotta know that we aren't going to see a comic like this anywhere else. So, it's not just the character...it's how you ise them and how you market the story....even with Tesla...could be epic or could be something I've already seen....
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 am

The War Nurse first issue is a retelling of her origin story, with a psychological overtones relating to what makes a Nurse start killing, even during a time of war, prevention is better than cure. The initial plotline centres on an attempt on Churchill's life using a guided missile fired from a submarine, hence Tesla's involvement, which becomes more clear in in issue 2. It also introduces the White Knights, a group of British Nazi sympathisers that include various other future storylines, including Aleister Crowley and the occult, which is played out when Nazi occultist summon Thor/Donar the Norse God of Thunder.

The Tesla Novel, is about the FBI investigation that takes place after his death... and centres on one agent's journey of discovery, was tesla a madman, seer, alien or genius? It covers all the big stuff, Tunguska, Beam Weapons, Weather Control, but also pulls out some new stuff... And has cool twist at the end, Something that my Surreal Murder Mystery Graphic Novels have as well, I'm a bit of a Edgar Allan Poe fan...

I see what you mean about the blurb and thank you, I will have a look and try and improve them. The first six issues of War Nurse are written, so I'll have to hold on the zombies, but issue 7 and a island full of Nazi zombies doesn't sound too bad. Tesla the Lord of Lightning against the Norse God of Thunder is sort of the climax in issue 6...

cheers
Craig
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:50 pm

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links 25
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 pm

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links 02
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 11:33 pm

There are loads more images and pages at www.cdgraphicnovels.blogspot.com

All feedback welcome

cheers
craig

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links 00

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links SHJ+kindle+cover
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 2:20 am

Manhattan Free Online pages 55-57

Song meets Aleister Crowley, the Beast, how will the Man in the White Suit deal with the Wickedest Man in the World.
You can check out pages 1-54, the cover and inserts, plus the three new pages on the blog and you can follow CDComics and this on Twitter @CDGraphicNovels

Here's page 55, 56 and 57

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links 57

Find loads more images at cdgraphicnovels.blogspot.com

All feedback welcome
cheers
Craig
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 10:35 am

Here's another Spring Heeled Jack page to get you interested, for more and more War Nurse see www.cdgraphicnovels.blogspot.com

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links 05

or try these kindle amazon links and check out the previews

War Nurse www.amazon.co.uk/War-Nurse-Alone-Golden-ebook/dp/B006ZSQ7G2/ref=sr_1_6?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327541936&sr=1-6

Spring Heeled Jack at www.amazon.co.uk/Spring-Heeled-Graphic-Horror-ebook/dp/B00727E208/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327674973&sr=1-5

Hope you like, any feedback would be great...

cheers
Craig
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

Trying a new method of getting my stuff out there and I'm starting with 'Meadowhell: The True Horror of Shopping' that sold triple figures locally in 2011. Not going with War Nurse or Spring Heeled Jack first, but if it's sucessful they will follow. Meadowhell is a 51 page full colour Surreal Murder Mystery Graphic Novel is on CDRom and is available on ebay.co.uk. I'll let you know if it works...

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links 01

Any other ideas?

cheers
Craig
Back to top Go down
CDComics

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:14 am

Thor appears in War Nurse

The Asgardian Nordic God is domain free and is summoned by the Nazi Occult group, The Order of the Black Sun to help them in the war.

Who's side did you expect him to be on, he is a Germanic Deity

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links 18

This comic is availble on Kindle and will soon be on ebay in UK, plus on sale at Sheffield Comic Stores and I'm looking for feedback

cheers
Craig
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links   War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links Empty

Back to top Go down

War Nurse, Spring Heeled Jack Links
Page 1 of 1