The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Logos & Emblems

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Logos & Emblems Empty
PostSubject: Logos & Emblems   Logos & Emblems EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 6:35 am

The emblems of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Spiderman, the Punisher, and the Fantastic Four (to name a few) are famous and dynamic. However, looking through my PD character files, I noticed how bland most of the characters' emblems are.

So, I was wondering if I was missing something? Can anyone think of a PD character who's costume had a really GREAT emblem? The closest thing I can think of Zorro, and his "Z" didn't even appear on his outfit...

On a related note, what about the logo on the book/cover page? Can anyone thing of any great logos?

Let's face it; many of these characters are in the PD because they tended to be thrown together quickly, but surely there are some gems in the rough that I'm overlooking, aren't there?
Back to top Go down
roygbiv666

roygbiv666

Logos & Emblems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logos & Emblems   Logos & Emblems EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 7:59 am

I don't know about "great" but I like Lash Lightning's weird lightning-pyramid dealee.

The Black Terror's skull.

The Black Fury's skull. Let's face it, skulls are cool.

Man of War's eagle is neat.

Amazing-Man's chest "A" would be inspiring if he hadn't disappeared and flourished like Superman.

And Magno's symbol is actually a bar magnet with ... magnetic thingees at both ends.

That's about it.

However, some of the costume's work as a gestalt - everything fits together to create the look, don't need a logo. Look at The Flag - he's dressed in the stars and stripes, but doesn't have an insignia. The Face's, well, face is his trademark.

And who the hell else looks like TNT Todd? Nobody, that's who ;-)

Last edited by roygbiv666 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added Magno)
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Logos & Emblems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logos & Emblems   Logos & Emblems EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 1:35 am

Yeah, Roy, that's about all I came up with, too (well a few others that were okay, but nothing really "great"). However, I don't consider myself any kind of "expert" on PD characters (I barely know enough to qualify as an amateur), so I thought there HAD to be stuff I didn't know about. Kind of disappointed that I was wrong!

lol!
Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

Logos & Emblems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logos & Emblems   Logos & Emblems EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 6:50 am

I agree that Amazing Man's A symbol has the potential to be just as iconic as the Superman "S"...it is unique and one of my favorites. Unfortunately, a lot of the heroes of the time were walking flags, so their "symbol" was a generic five point star. Skull and lightning bolt symbols were also popular. Another one that I actually really like is Silver Streak. Marvin the Great has a distictive "M"...Miss Victory used a V. The Fox has a GREAT chest symbol. Blackbird and Swiftarrow both had unique chest symbols. Blackjack uses a black spade and Golden Boy uses a gold heart symbol. Several characters in the late Golden Age used atomic model symbols or had starbursts on their chests. The Comet had a distinctive upward arrow and the flame had a distinctive flame symbol. Blackhawk is legally public domain and he has one of the greatest chest symbols ever! The diamond on Plastic Man's belt is generally considered his symbol.
The Avenger has a cool and unique A symbol.

I've tried to include graphics of the most common title block used on covers of characters with their own books. My favorites are Amazing Man, The Arrow and Green Lama....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Logos & Emblems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Logos & Emblems   Logos & Emblems Empty

Back to top Go down

Logos & Emblems
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Free Universe :: Fan Section :: Comics-
Jump to: