The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Once Upon A Time...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Once Upon A Time... Empty
PostSubject: Once Upon A Time...   Once Upon A Time... EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 am

I can't believe it took me until just before the start of the bloody FOURTH season for me to make the connection, but this TV show has got to currently be the most successful use of public domain characters currently in production (if not ever).

To be fair, because ABC is owned by Disney, so the characters obviously owe a bit to the Disney versions of the character (i.e., The Little Mermaid is named Ariel; the Arabian Nights land is Agraba, etc.), but ultimately, we're still talking about fairy-tale characters that have moved from their own time and place to modern-day New England. And I love it ... which surprised me. In all honesty, I thought this whole concept sounded SO absurd that I had ZERO interest in it. Luckily, my lovely wife convinced me to at least try it, and it's now one of my favorite shows.

One of the things that I love most about this show is that no matter what happens to them, the characters are always true to their core essence. Anyone watching the show for the first time can watch 10 minutes of David and Mary Margaret and say, "Yeah, that's Prince Charming and Snow White." At the same time, they have grown (and continue to grow) beyond that core essence (like all good characters should).

Considering that this show is such a HUGE hit, I surely can't be the only one here watching it, can I?

Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time...   Once Upon A Time... EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 10:11 am

I haven't caught the new episodes yet, but I love the way they've brought all the elements together and put new twists on them.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time...   Once Upon A Time... EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 10:43 am

I wasn't too sure about them bringing the characters from "Frozen" on to the show (and I figured it may hurt them, most parents have have MORE than enough of Anna and Elsa), the first few episodes of the season have been great as always. I guess it just goes to show that ANYTHING can work if you handle it properly!
Back to top Go down
captainwhizz

captainwhizz

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time...   Once Upon A Time... EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 3:26 am

I'm sure they'll manage to fit Marvel and Star Wars in there eventually too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time...   Once Upon A Time... Empty

Back to top Go down

Once Upon A Time...
Page 1 of 1