The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is Captain Atom Trademarked?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mattd43

Is Captain Atom Trademarked? Empty
PostSubject: Is Captain Atom Trademarked?   Is Captain Atom Trademarked? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 3:17 am

Okay, I'm talking the original Captain Atom (Allen Adams) by Charlton, his silver age stuff is in the pd but I dont know whether or not his name is trademarked. It doesn't say so on pdsh so...?
Back to top Go down
bchat

Is Captain Atom Trademarked? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Captain Atom Trademarked?   Is Captain Atom Trademarked? EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 11:03 pm

http://tess2.uspto.gov/ is where to go online to search the United States Patent and Trademark Office database for active Trademarks. However, the USPTO's online database only contains entires for registered & pending applications.

According to USPTO's FAQ, a Trademark does not have to be registered in order for someone to have a valid claim of ownership. A Trademark is "registered" when it uses the ® symbol. Whenever you see the ™ symbol, someone is claiming ownership of a Trademark without the benefits that a registered mark provides, and, more importantly, that claim of ownership will not turn-up in an online search.

DC Comics may have claimed a Trademark on the name without registering it with the USPTO. Most comic companies will use the ™ symbol until a property/character reaches the point that spending the time & money to register the mark is worthwhile. Since an online search for "Captain Atom" turned-up nothing, I would suggest looking at recent covers where the name has been used to see if CA's name carried the ™ symbol.
Back to top Go down

Is Captain Atom Trademarked?
Page 1 of 1