The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Copyright Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
madara88

Copyright Question Empty
PostSubject: Copyright Question   Copyright Question EmptyWed Dec 21, 2022 1:56 am

Hello guys, so can I copyright a characters name if I don't have an image to go with the character?
Hypothetically speaking lets say the character name is eraser guy, but I don't have an image just the name,
will I be able to apply for a copyright with just the name? Any answers will be appreciated thanks.
Back to top Go down
Eaterofcake

Eaterofcake

Copyright Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copyright Question   Copyright Question EmptySun Jan 08, 2023 11:11 am

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you can't copyright just a name. Copyright protects the right to copy something, including a character and derivatives of it but I don't think it really protects a name so much.

Trademark protects a title that's in use (you can't just trademark something and own it forever though) which can be a character's name. So for example even though Tarzan is technically in the public domain the name Tarzan is trademarked, so if you slap that on your book prepare yourself to get sued by ERB inc. And in order to trademark something you'd have to have an actual product you're selling not just a name.

You would probably need to create your character, turn it into a product of some kind (comic, book, t shirt etc.) and THEN trademark it which is a long and tough process because if your name is too generic or someone else has a similar version in the same field your trademark will probably be slapped down by the trademark office.

You shouldn't worry too much about owning the name though, I'd say just make it if you want to and worry about that stuff later. Very Happy

madara88 likes this post

Back to top Go down
madara88

Copyright Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copyright Question   Copyright Question EmptySat Jan 21, 2023 2:55 pm

Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Copyright Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copyright Question   Copyright Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Copyright Question
Page 1 of 1