The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ascension Epoch Web site...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

Ascension Epoch Web site... Empty
PostSubject: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 pm

I found a link to this site while looking at some pics of PD characters on DeviantArt. According to the intro, "Ascension Epoch is an open-content shared universe that incorporates original elements and public domain sources, intended to be collaboratively developed with writers and artists like you." Until Argo gets back to working on The Free Universe, this seems like a good secondary resource (perhaps you could even use elements of both, if necessary). I'm just starting to look around the site, but so far it looks promising...

http://www.ascensionepoch.com/
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 12:33 am

So, I'm still looking at the site, but here's what I've learned so far. The world of Ascension Epoch is NOT the traditional comic book world where it's like the regular world but there are people in tights flying around and shooting lightning from their fingers. The fantastic powers and technology have made a difference. One of the major events in history was HG Wells' Martian invasion of 1900, and it totally changed the world: borders are different, the church is stronger, technology from reverse-engineered Martian equipment has changed daily life...

However, everything is well thought out and very clever. Not sure if the total "universe" would be something I'd want to write about (although I do want to read more), but at the very least it's a wonderful example/experiment in what can be done with PD concepts and characters.
Back to top Go down
MikeDiBaggio

MikeDiBaggio

PostSubject: Re: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 6:38 am

Hello GoldenBard! I am the co-creator of the Ascension Epoch and I was thrilled when I got an email from Mention this morning informing me of your post. I'm happy you've found our website and really flattered that you're interested in what we've done. I encourage you and anyone else who is interested in public domain superheroes, collaborative writing, and creative commons to join in our efforts.

So far, we have four books published books, each the first in its respective series, that I hope you will consider checking out. They run the gamut across a lot of different genres, from steampunk superheroes and fairy tales to military SF to modern urban fantasy and occult adventure. Each book also contains an appendix with articles fleshing out some of the characters and events as mentioned in the story. These have been a hit with our fans so far, and if you like worldbuilding you'll probably really enjoy them.

Right now, we're also on Day 6 of our "30 Days, 30 Characters" challenge, where we introduce some "new" (as in, never before seen in our published books) characters and talk about how they fit into our universe. Several of these are adaptations of existing public domain characters - Day 1 featured Princess Ozma of Oz in her superheroine guise as the Emerald Witch, Day 4 featured The Flame, and yesterday featured the Flame's son. There are a lot of other articles on the site covering other characters, teams, organizations, monsters, historical events in our setting, and so forth.

If you'd like to contribute, you can join in on our wiki, by shooting me an email, or following us on your favorite social network. We had a forum, but I had to temporarily take it down because it was overrun by spammers. And if any of you are in or near Pennsylvania, we'll be at the Pittsburgh Comicon at the end of the month and TravelerCon in Lancaster in October, so please stop by to talk to us in person.

I think there's a lot to like about the fictional universe we've begun, but even if you don't find the setting to your liking, Shell and I still want to encourage you to pick whatever you like and add it into your own universe. All of our articles, stories, and art are released under Creative Commons-Attribution-ShareAlike, so you're free to use them under those terms. If you did use something from the Ascension Epoch in your work, I'd love to see it, so please feel free to email or message me about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ascensionepoch.com
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 7:03 am

Wow, Mike, glad to see that you saw the post and were happy about it! Like I said, I think there's some very cool stuff in your universe.

I think it was actually a picture of The Flame (one of my fave PD heroes) on DeviantArt as part of your "30 in 30" initiative the first brought me to your site. But the one thing that REALLY intrigued me (and made me a bit jealous that I didn't think of it) was the Emerald Witch. A week or two ago I just finished binge-listening to all the PD Oz books from Librivox, and my mind was awhirl with the possibilities of bringing those characters into the modern world ... but having Ozma become a superheroine NEVER entered my mind! It's incredibly clever.
Back to top Go down
MikeDiBaggio

MikeDiBaggio

PostSubject: Re: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 7:37 am

Thank you! It seems everybody likes the Emerald Witch idea. I have to give most of the credit of that one to my wife, who is a huge Oz fan. We have a lot more going on with the Oz characters and some big ideas about the nature of Oz and all of Nonestica.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 4:05 am

MikeDiBaggio wrote:
It seems everybody likes the Emerald Witch idea. I have to give most of the credit of that one to my wife, who is a huge Oz fan. We have a lot more going on with the Oz characters and some big ideas about the nature of Oz and all of Nonestica.

At the risk of sounding a bit sexist, it seemed like an idea that came from the female part of the team. BTW, another of your ideas that I love (and may borrow if ever feel the need to explain these kinds of things) is the aether as a "fuel" for superpowers (or Talents, as you call them). It sort of reminds me of the old fantasy trope of "mana" being used to fuel magic, but brought into a modern-day setting.
Back to top Go down
MikeDiBaggio

MikeDiBaggio

PostSubject: Re: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 8:44 am

GoldenBard wrote:

At the risk of sounding a bit sexist, it seemed like an idea that came from the female part of the team.

Don't worry about that. I'm conscientiously indifferent to politically correct-isms Smile

GoldenBard wrote:
BTW, another of your ideas that I love (and may borrow if ever feel the need to explain these kinds of things) is the aether as a "fuel" for superpowers (or Talents, as you call them). It sort of reminds me of the old fantasy trope of "mana" being used to fuel magic, but brought into a modern-day setting.

The aether idea began as a way to rationalize powers that seemingly broke the laws of thermodynamics and conservation of mass and momentum, but as I developed it I saw various other benefits to it. With aether there is a unified rationale (which is not to say an explanation) for both superpowers and magic. It's also a way to explain hauntings and curses and gave rise to the Egregore concepts, and all that derives from it, such as Tulpas and Incarnates. So already there are several distinct paths to paranormal abilities, though all are ultimately derived from the same source. Plus, it provides a great way of constraining the powers of metahumans - the available aether in an area may be limited, so everyone's powers may be low, or a particularly awesome display of power may drain the ambient aether. It also provides a rationale for how powers may be negated, such as in the presence of psychic sinks that drain the aether like a blackhole, or through drugs and psychic jammers that scramble the body's ability to siphon the aether.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ascension Epoch Web site...   Ascension Epoch Web site... Empty

Back to top Go down

Ascension Epoch Web site...
Page 1 of 1