The Free Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forums for Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki and The Free Universe! Discuss public domain and open license properties.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Open source Super archetype

Go down 
+8
MadMikeyD
dann
Vagrant
bchat
argosail
Yzz
PhantomofDoom
Ultimosteve
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
argosail

argosail

Open source Super archetype - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Alright, I tried some more color variations on Kalthar, and this is the one I like the most. I was trying to avoid dark colors, because I imagine him being on a space background on a regular basis. The dark colors do make him look a little more evil/foreboding though. What do you guys think of this version. Better?

Open source Super archetype - Page 6 Kalthar2

If this looks better, I'll post it on PDSH wiki.
Back to top Go down
KnightRandom

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 11:04 am

I do think I like this a little better, the earlier bright magenta shade was rather garish.

Another thing: if Astro-Man's ancestor was a samurai who inhabited the Warring States or early Edo period--the setting of Kurosawa's movies, Lone Wolf and Cub, Usagi Yojimbo and such--he would have arrived 400 years ago, not 200. 200 years ago was toward the end of the Edo period, a time of relative peace which ended with the coming of Commodore Matthew Perry's fleet and the opening of Japan to foreign influences in 1853.
Back to top Go down
SimonKirby

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Some of you might be familiar with my superhero archetype from PDSH. I called him Excelsior The Photonic Man, due to his ability to absorb and process solar energy. Aside from being tremendously powerful by nature, his physical abilities are augmented by advanced trans-dimensional technologies.

Open source Super archetype - Page 6 Excelsior1
I saw him as being the most powerful being in the Landmark Universe, vulnerable only to anti-matter and psychic attacks. In addition, his powers increase when he ventures into near space, due to the vast amounts of solar radiation beyond the Earth's magnetosphere. This would make him one of the planet's heavy hitters in times of extreme crisis, such as interplanetary invasion or pan-dimensional warfare.

His main failing is over-confidence; believing himself utterly invulnerable, he is occasionally stunned when confronted by a more powerful being from within this space-time continuum, suffering humiliating defeats in the process...

Last edited by SimonKirby on Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ten Cent Hero

Ten Cent Hero

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 3:08 am

Just got done reading this thread to glean info on Astro-Man! Very fun.

I also like the Photonic Man!

Back to top Go down
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 am

So, I was reading around and I discovered that the name Kalthar, which we were using for the Astro-Man villain, is actually the name of an existing Public Domain Superhero, specifically, a tarzan-clone jungle hero. The name has also been used for characters in World of Warcraft and in some game called Oblivion. Sooo...I think we should probably go ahead and alter the name a little, so it is unique. I am proposing Kalthon or Kalthaer. Kalthon was the name of an alien race in Space: 1999, but that show is pretty much ancient history. I prefer Kalthaer, because it would be totally unique. Does that sound good to you guys, or do you have another name or variation in mind?

Also, did you guys know that the Planet Viro actually comes from the back story of a character named "Wonder Boy." Fortunately that back story is not inconsistent with our story.
Back to top Go down
Yzz

Yzz

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 12:56 pm

argosail wrote:
So, I was reading around and I discovered that the name Kalthar, which we were using for the Astro-Man villain, is actually the name of an existing Public Domain Superhero, [...] I think we should probably go ahead and alter the name a little, so it is unique. I am proposing Kalthon or Kalthaer. Kalthon was the name of an alien race in Space: 1999, but that show is pretty much ancient history. I prefer Kalthaer, because it would be totally unique. Does that sound good to you guys, or do you have another name or variation in mind?

Also, did you guys know that the Planet Viro actually comes from the back story of a character named "Wonder Boy." Fortunately that back story is not inconsistent with our story.

1. I'd go with either Kalthaer or Kalthoon (yes, with "OO")

2. I brought up Viro waaaaay back because I had seen Wonder Boy on PDSH wiki Very Happy
"The public domain...it's not stealing if it's FREE!"

~~Yzz
Back to top Go down
http://yzzverse.blogspot.com/
argosail

argosail

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Isn't there a politician named Kalhoon, or was that just an SNL character?

I figured you probably got Viro from Wonder Boy (too big of a coincidence), but the back story still works, so I think we're good. Obviously Wonder Boy was another attempt at creating a super-powered human infiltrator, and he managed to escape and get off the planet in the nick of time.
Back to top Go down
GoldenBard

GoldenBard

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 8:35 am

Okay, so I came in way to late to be part of the main creation of this character, but how when I saw this bit, I thought I'd put my two cents in.

How about "Kalthear" or "Kalfear?" For some reason, I like the second syllable sounding like "fear." Sounds more menacing to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Open source Super archetype   Open source Super archetype - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Open source Super archetype
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6